Friday 18 March 2011

There is no "Supermoon". Period.

I don't have much to say about this so called "Supermoon" , just to say that this is a excellent example of how one should never, and I mean NEVER get their Science information from News outlets. 

All you want to know about why this whole idea (that because the moon is closer than usual, happens to be a full moon and is relatively lined up with the Sun will result in severe Earthquakes, Volcanic eruptions and overall unpleasantness) is complete and utter woo woo is explained beautifully by Phil Plait(aka The Bad Astronomer) in his recent post.

I couldn't explain it any better myself, given that I hold no scientific credentials and he happens to be a professional astronomer with a wealth of experience and credentials.  I can't compete with him...yet!

What I get from this whole Supermoon situation however is the observation that a lot of people take what the media claims to be Science as, well, valid Science.  That's a problem.  Not to say that the media is bad, goodness no.  Just that when it comes to credible resources, while the general media serves its purpose as a good starting point for deeper research and exploration,  the science in the news does not always match up with the actual research that was done.

Weirdly enough, it is astrologers who have started this whole "Supermoon" craze.  I think that sums up the validity of the entire hypothesis. 

And personally, whenever I come in contact with an astrologer , I find its always a good policy to turn off the computer, leave the room or change the channle and proceed to beat my head against a tree.  I find that this exercise provides much more intellectual stimulation than an astrologer's sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment