Monday 14 March 2011

I need to stop commenting on YouTube...

So I watched a clip of Dane Cook a few days ago, and unfortunately this involved me watching a clip of Dane Cook.  I don't know why I did this, I regret doing this and I really need to stop blindly clicking on "related videos".

The clip was about atheists and I soon observed, of course, that there is a lot ( I mean a LOT) of people engaging, in religious "debate".  I use the term "debate" loosely, because I really don't think throwing threats of hellfire and mindless insults at eachother qualifies as meaningful dialogue.

Blindly, I made a quick comment to someone who was against any "debate" whatsoever.  I think I said something like "Debates are fun", or something like that.  Nothing major, just a quick little useless comment to help me sleep at night knowing I had stated my disagreement with someone on the interenet.

This morning I recieved a reply from the user "SinnersGoToHell".  Not being the original reciever of my comment you can imagine my confusion.  I think their user name should have been the first hint that my secular faith in humanity would decrease slightly.  Heres what he/she said exactly as it was written:

This isn't a debate. The hold the truth, because it is the word of Jesus. So, how can you argue with a perfect being? Thanks for being on my side, though, and helping fight these heathens. I'm ashamed to live in the same country as these "Atheists". America is making a move to become Christian again. Luckily we have such great Christian mentors like Sara Palin.

Yeah...well I had to respond:

I think you may have misinterpreted my remarks, as I am one of those "heathens" you speak of. I'm an atheist because I value truth above all else. To seek truth is to be always seeking, always questioning and never taking things soley on faith. For you to say you hold the truth when all your knowledge comes from a poorly written book and, I assume, personal experience is incredibly insulting. Insulting not just to me but the entire human endevour.

 I wonder what he/she'll say next?  I am smitten with anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment